1930 Aston Martin International
A superb, restored example of the celebrated Pre-War Aston Martin International. Please enquire for further details.
Registered 15th May 1930, Chassis S40 was one of the ‘First Series’ of Aston Martins produced under the company ownership of A.C. Bertelli. As both owner and Technical Director of Aston Martin between 1926 and 1937, Bertelli remains one of the few figures in automotive history to have owned, designed and successfully driven and competed in the cars produced at their new Feltham Works in Middlesex.
First shown to the public at the London Motor Show in 1929, the International continued Aston Martins already established tradition for beautifully crafted, lightweight performance cars. With chassis S38 having been road-tested by The Autocar during 1930, a top-speed of 81mph was recorded with 90mph attainable depending on the axle ratio…
‘The 1½-litre Aston Martin occupies its position among the best sports cars available, first, of course, because it has the essential performance…and…probably most important of all, there is about the car that suggestion of being exactly right for its work, which means so much and yet is extremely difficult to convey in words…’ – The Autocar, 18th September 1930.
The International would go on to be the most successful of the ‘First Series’ of Bertelli cars and secure the sporting reputation of Aston Martin throughout the 1930’s with Bertelli and Driscoll winning the Biennial Cup at Le Mans in 1932.
We are delighted to offer for sale this superb and beautifully restored Aston Martin 1½ Litre International 2/4 seater. Finished in immaculate deep red paintwork with black leather interior and matching all-weather hood and tonneau.
Like many Aston Martins of this period, S40 tried its hand at Brooklands competing in the 1932 Junior Car Club Members Day. Accompanying records also show S40 driven by M.H. Scott having completed the MCC London to Exeter Trial in December 1932 for which it received a Silver Award.
Restored by Dr. Dudley Fairman Heath, a noted member of the AMOC during the mid-1960’s, S40 was awarded first place honours at the Belfry Concours of 1968. S40 would also go on to achieve a further five prestigious first place awards at various AMOC Concours events throughout the following years.
During a second period of ownership during the 1990’s, Professor Michael Joy embarked upon another complete and total restoration of S40. Photographic records together with invoices, receipts and written correspondence demonstrate the extent of work completed by renowned pre-War Aston Martin specialist Bill Elwell-Smith.
A comprehensive history file and accompanying PDF provide further and extensive evidence which include the original Factory Build records along with a complete list of owners from 1930. Together with the original Owners Handbook and continuation buff logbooks, S40 is an excellent example of these early ‘First Series’ cars and featured in Michael Bowlers publication, ‘Aston Martin – The Legend’.
Highly eligible for historic events, S40 presents an excellent opportunity to acquire a highly desirable example of this iconic pre-War Aston Martin.
Please enquire for further details.
- 4 Speed Manual